Saturday, May 31, 2008

If I were president.....

With all the political propaganda going around these past several months, it has me thinking about how my campaign would be if I were running for president. Even though I never plan to run for any political office ever, I just thought it was fun to ponder. The views and interests of the candidates today are so vague, no one really knows where they stand on the issues. What is important to them? What are they going to fight for when in office? Anyway, here is my list of things I think are important and I would fight for when I become president.

~I would push for legislation for the government to provide higher education to all those who want to go. I think college should be free just like K-12 education. I see the importance of education and knowledge, and college loans probably distract a lot of people from pursuing higher education. I personally know it really blows to pay off student loans :(

~I would do everything in my power to further science including but not limited to the space program, the human genome project, as well as drug and other substance studies. I also would push for natural health products such as vitamins, etc. to be legislated because as of today companies can put whatever they want in pills and sell them for a profit without any accountability. I would also push for further exploration of "lost" areas on the planet such as deep sea, deserts, and even antartica.

~I would also push the importance of faith in people and things that have proven themselves in the past. We have trust and faith in the scientific principles of gravity and even our own sun rising and setting each day because they can be tested and the results can be repeated. Those are things worth putting faith in because they have proven themselves. That goes along with the importance of evidence to base my trust on. A healthy does of skepticism would be good for this country.

~And finally, but perhaps most importantly, I would fight for everyone's right to do whatever the hell they want. I would outlaw the Patriot Act as well as many other pieces of legislation that take away citizen's rights. There is nothing more important or worth saving and fighting for than a person's choice. Life, liberty, and happiness, right? I would support anyone's choice as long as it does not affect someone else's right to life, liberty, and happiness. I would also like to bring blatant honesty and sarcasm to public office, because we all know what a bunch of tight wads politicians can be. Also, I would try to encourage discourse and conversation about difficult issues because nothing will change if people don't talk about things and work together. Other than that, I would want my constituents to know that I love music, making creative things, and playing video games. I am married to my best friend, Greg. We live in South Bend, Indiana and have one adorable puppy named Boo.

No comments: